|Named for a market center in Greece, Emporia, Kansas was founded in February of 1857 by Preston B. Plumb, |
G. W. Brown. George B. Ditzler, Lyman Allen and Columbus Hornsby of what was then Breckenridge County
(1856) . Charles H. Withington is thought to be the oldest settler in the county, locating here in June of 1854.
In 1855-56, mail was brought by the Santa Fe stage to Withington's, who had set up an office. Ira Hadley then
took the mail and distributed it by horseback to the settlers on the Cottonwood and Neosho. Emporia is the
county seat of Lyon county and contains a population of about 3,000 people (1871) and located on the prairie
near and between the Neosho and Cottonwood rivers, which provide fine water power for saw and grain mills.
The valleys about Emporia are famous for their well tilled farms and the town commands a very expensive
trade, owing to its advantageous position relative to the vast and rapidly growing region laying south and west.
The citizens also look with confidence for the speedy construction of another railroad from the direction of
Ottawa. Emporia is at the crossing of two established railroads, the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe and the
Missouri Kansas & Texas. Many fine businesses are located here with churches and school houses. The city has
added to its fame by rigorously prohibiting the sale of intoxicating liquor and the State Normal School is
located here and is doing quite well.