Jerico Springs, Missouri
My Present Past
A genealogical experience
Click on an image to view full size
Background:
Edgar and Gene Jacobs
Krauss Farm
Jerico Springs, Missouri 1935
Jerico Springs, Missouri is located in the southwest corner of Benton Township, 22 miles northeast of Lamar,
16 miles east of Sheldon, 30 miles southeast of Nevada and 16 miles southwest of Stockton, the county seat,
being thus admirably located to derive the full benefit of trade from choice sections of Vernon, Dade, Barton
and Cedar counties.
The history of the famous springs is no small part of tradition. Long before the coming of the white man to the
place of the springs, the Indians had come to secure the benefits of this wonderful water. They endeavored to
utilize by burying themselves in the mud and by making mud poultices to apply to affected areas of their bodies.
The Indians came for many miles to profit from the primitive healing powers of the springs. Many of the early
settlers of Jerico Springs have related the miraculous cures affected by this manner of treatment.
It was not long after that the curative powers of these springs made their way eastward. In 1857, a Dr. Bass
of St. Louis was attracted by these glowing reports and visited Jerico. He began a series of experiments which
were so successful that in 1860 he determined to build a hospital there. It was shortly thereafter the Civil
War broke out and the scheme was abandoned.
The name of Jerico Springs is said to be a combination of the ancient town of Jericho and
Joseph B. Carrico, one
of the
first settlers of what is now Jerico Springs and the original owner of the land where the springs,
"The Fountain of Youth" are located.
Donald G. Stratton came to Stockton, Cedar County,
Missouri in late 1879 from
Cambridge, Henry County,
Illinois. Shortly after arriving, his attention was called to
the springs and their waters suggested as a remedy for a
chronic affection from which he suffered. Skeptical at
first, he finally tried it and was delighted when a complete
cure was effected. Having satisfied himself by watching the
experience of other invalids, that the springs unquestionably
possessed great medicinal properties, Mr. Stratton bought
the tract of land containing the springs from Mr. Carrico and
laid out a town site. On June 09, 1882 the first nail was
driven in Jerico Springs. Every year since then there is a
large picnic to commemorate the event. On March 05, 1883,
Jerico Springs was incorporated as a village.
Top: 1945 printing of Jerico Springs, A Brief Historical
Review by John L. Gundy and Son, Commercial Advertising,
El Dorado Springs, Missouri. This section shows the analysis
of the spring water and advertising from the area.







Right:
1879 Map of Benton Township, Cedar County, Missouri.
At the bottom of the map in the middle you will find the
sections that
J. B. Carrico owned before selling the property
to
D. G. Stratton in 1882.
Sections 32 and 33.
Only a few brave pioneers trod beside their ox teams when such early Cedar Countians as Tome Oakes, John
Hartley, Jack Gordon and Robert Williams headed their covered wagons into the wild regions, which we know as
Cedar county in the year 1837. During the early years of Cedar County's growth there was much hard work and
little leisure time and the pioneers looked forward to annual gatherings or celebrations as they were called.
The tradition of an annual celebration grew and today the annual Jerico Springs celebration is one of the best
attended and liveliest in the county. With the development of the natural resources of the new land the
pioneers cast their lots in, their spiritual welfare was not neglected. Today the fair little city in the
picturesque hills are proud of four live and going churches, where honest God fearing citizens render homage to
their creator. Jerico Springs has been well known to the outside world as a community of high religious and
moral standards. The Methodist, Baptist and Christian churches are well represented in Jerico Springs.

Joseph B. Carrico, Dr. Joseph P. Brasher. Morris W. Mitchell, George Wallace and Albina C. Utterback were
appointed the first board of trustees. The present (1889) town board consists of
Rueben D. Shumate,
Richard F. Cross, M. B. Reynolds, J. M. Grisham and Josiah Six.
The first general store was opened by James A Cogle, who was succeeded by James A. Cogle & Company and
that firm in turn by James A. Cogle & Sons. Another early store was opened by Hood Shumate and others by
James Rogers & Company, Legg & Heiter and Clayton & Company. Stratton & Lakey opened the first drug store.
The following merchants were doing business in Jerico Springs in 1889: Robert Cooper, J. R. Duncan, Pickett &
Herman, J. H. Shumate & Company, Stratton & Lakey, R. H. Swaim & Company, Shumate & Patterson, Wimer
Brothers & Company, J. B. Carrico, J. H. Clayton, J. A. Cogle & Sons and Peer & Brown.
In the beginning to induce settlement here, Mr. Stratton donated many lots to persons who would build on
them. The first building on the site of the new town was the R. B. Clark residence, which was moved from its
former location on the farm of C. E. Whitsitt, west of town. The second was the Jerico House, since converted
into the A. Starkey residence. These two buildings served as hotels until others were erected. Mr. Peer put up
the United States Hotel in 1882,.The Newman house was built in 1883. The first bath buildings were
constructed by D. G. Stratton and M. J Straight. The flouring mill of Hartsook & Son was built in 1882 and
William & Legg established a fruit evaporator in 1886.
The Hartley Banking Company was organized by J. E. Hartley in March of 1884. It has a paid capitol of $11,000.
It's first officers were: A. M. Pyle, president, J.P. Brasher, vice president, John D. Porter, cashier; and the
directors, A. M. Pyle, M. B. Loy, J. P. Brasher, J. F. Baston and James Potter.

Bear Lodge No. 477, I.O.O.F., was organized February 06, 1884 by Samuel L. Kerr. Its charter members were:
J. H. Shumate, R. D. Shumate, J. B. Brasher, E. G. Ashford, J. H. Adelmyer and J. M. Thompson.
Jerico Lodge No. 340, A. F. & A. M., was organized under dispensation on May 01, 1884 with the following
charter members: G. W. Musgrave, W. B. Carrico, J. H. Shumate, W. R. Hall, W. L Ragan, William Hull, C. W.
Brownlee, W. T Shaw, T. G. Walker, W. F. Mitchell, C. C. Cantrell, J. H. Arnold, M. W. Mitchell, John Baker,
Joseph Sharp, J. E. Hardeman, S. P. Collins and B. C. Bull.
Captain J. H. Painter Post No. 90, G.A. R., was mustered in June 1883 by Captain Emery and the following
officers were elected: J. H. Adalmeyer, P. C., John F. Brown, S. V. C., J. R. Deardorff, J. V. C.,
John O. Welch, O. D., O. R. Beard, O. G., H. B. Willman, Q. M., James A. Cogle, Adjutant, J. McLeod, S. M.,
J. L. Schofield, Q. M. S.
General A. J. Smith Camp No. 54, Sons of Veterans, Division of Missouri was mustered July 25, 1887 with the
following members: A. M. Brown, Bennett Soloman, R. O. Crawford, W. A. Grant, Charles Watson, E. F. Thornton,
J. M. Boyel, O. H. Bayles, J. A. Crawford and William E. Grant.
By 1945 the town had been incorporated and the city officials are: Ray L. Morris, Mayor, W. L. Skaggs, F. O.
Potts, Jim Leonard, and O. P. Mitchell serve as Aldermen. Gladys Morris, City Clerk, Willie Mitchell, City
Collector, Don Wright, Treasurer, Bob Bratton, Police Judge and W. F. Evans, Marshal.

Perhaps one of the most vital organizations in Jerico Springs is the Community Teachers Association with Ray L.
Morris as President. The Association embraces twelve districts and covers several counties. The Association
has done much to improve school conditions in their localities and their work is making rapid progress.

The beautiful Spring Park is a cool, restful spot in the center of the business section and is the center of the
town's evening and Sunday afternoon meetings. It is one of the prettiest parks of its size in the state and is
the subject of favorable comments by the many of out-of-town people who visit the Springs annually.
Some years ago Dr. Gordon B. Banister purchased the old hotel property in Jerico Springs, remodeled the
building and founded the X-Ray and Medical Clinic. During its first few months of its existence the Clinic had
only local patients but as the fame of the splendid  institution spread, people came from every section of the
state to be treated for ailments which have baffled the physicians of their locale.
Dr. Banister who owns and operates the Clinic keeps abreast of the times in medical science and progress as his
voluminous library will attest. He attends clinics where the latest discoveries in medicine and surgery are
discussed and this, with his fine educational background equips him in a very splendid way to minister to the
sick and ailing. He has the latest laboratory and office equipment and is constantly on the alert for a better
way of utilizing the wide range of knowledge and experience he has acquired through the years.
Thousands of patients in scattered parts of the mid-west can attest to his skill and fairness in relieving them
of ailments which made life a burden. The Doctor is a genial gentleman and makes no rash or impossible
promises to a patient. He is frank to tell them that if they will do their part, he will do everything possible to
bring them back to health.
The institution is a distinct asset to Jerico Springs. You can judge a man pretty well by what hi neighbors in the
community think of him. The Doctor enjoys the respect and co-operation of the majority of the citizens in that
part of the county and he extends a cordial invitation for the public to visit him.